Professional Tax Research Solutions from the Founder of Kleinrock. tax research
Parker Tax Pro Library
Accounting News Expert Tax Analysts professional tax research software Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our profile on LinkedIn Find us on Pinterest
CPA software
Professional Tax Software
tax and accounting
Tax Research Articles Parker's Federal Tax Bulletin CPA Sample Client Letters Tax Software Reviews - CPA Client Testimonials Tax Research Software Parker Research

Accounting Software for Accountants, CPA, Bookeepers, and Enrolled Agents

CPA Tax Software



What to Do about Missing or Incorrect Forms W-2 and 1099.
(Parker Tax Publishing January 2014)

If a missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099 is not received by February 14, the IRS should be contacted, and the IRS will attempt to obtain the information from the employer.

Employers/payers have until January 31 to issue certain informational documents. If a Form W-2 or Form 1099-R is not received by January 31, or the information is incorrect on these forms, the taxpayer should contact the employer/payer.

If a missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099 is still not received by February 14, the IRS should be contacted at 800-829-1040 for assistance. When calling the IRS, the following information is necessary: the taxpayer's name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, and social security number, as well as the employer/payer's name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number, employer identification number (if known), an estimate of the wages earned by the employee, the federal income tax withheld, and the dates of employment.

After February 14, the IRS will contact the employer/payer and request the missing form. The IRS will also send the taxpayer a Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., along with a letter containing instructions.

Where a taxpayer does not receive the missing form in sufficient time to file his or her tax return on a timely basis, the taxpayer may use the Form 4852 to complete the return. If the taxpayer subsequently receives the missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099-R after a return is filed and a correction to the originally filed return needs to be made, then the taxpayer should file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. (Staff Contributor Parker Tax Publishing)

Parker Tax Pro Library - An Affordable Professional Tax Research Solution.

Disclaimer: This publication does not, and is not intended to, provide legal, tax or accounting advice, and readers should consult their tax advisors concerning the application of tax laws to their particular situations. This analysis is not tax advice and is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer. The information contained herein is general in nature and based on authorities that are subject to change. Parker Tax Publishing guarantees neither the accuracy nor completeness of any information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for results obtained by others as a result of reliance upon such information. Parker Tax Publishing assumes no obligation to inform the reader of any changes in tax laws or other factors that could affect information contained herein.

    ®2012-2017 Parker Tax Publishing. Use of content subject to Website Terms and Conditions.

IRS Codes and Regs
Tax Court Cases IRS guidance